What makes a copywriter good? Where do you find a good copywriter?
A good copywriter might be hard to find, but there are things you can do about it. Sometimes it’s not about finding a good copywriter – it’s about finding the right copywriter for your communication and niche. Due diligence can take time, but in the end it’s usually worth it.
What expertise can I offer on the topic? Well, I’m a digital marketing freelancer, helping companies with copywriting, SEO and many other content tasks. I’ve written copy for many clients in many different niches. Here are my thoughts on what makes a good copywriter.
By Stefan Nordström
- Freelancing digital marketing consultant
- 8 years of in-house and freelance experience
- Expertise: SEO, copywriting, newsletters, conversion optimization, digital strategy
- LinkedIn | Mail | Instagram
What distinguishes a good copywriter from other writers?
These are some of the things that a good copywriter needs to master.
- Basic writing technique. Copywriters need to have good basic writing technique, which isn’t always the case. Spelling and grammar needs to be on point, just like proofreading and formatting.
- Variation and flow. Dull and predictable copywriting bores the reader. On digital platforms, it can mean that the visitor leaves and tries the next Google result instead. A good copywriter uses active language, transition words, dotted lists and other techniques that entertains, tells a story and engages the audience
- Understanding the audience. Different target groups, niches and businesses have different tones of voice. A good copywriter is aware of this, and finds a unique language for every client and project
- Understanding the platform. Digital copywriting means that you need to be aware of the platform you’re writing for, for example screen size and other limitations. You simply need to know your fair share of UX, making your delivery more than just text in a document
- Search engine optimization. Website copy almost always has the purpose to drive organic traffic from Google and other search engines. That requires a copywriter with SEO expertise, preferably a SEO copywriter that is just as good at search engine optimization as copywriting
- Creativity and a genuine love for writing. A really good copywriter also has a genuine interest for language and writing, which often produces interesting ideas beyond the requirements in the brief
- Client communication. Being a good copywriter is about more than just the material. Clear, polite and fast communication is just as important, in my opinion. When the communication aspect works, it can definitely improve the end results.
The client also has a fair share of responsibility. A clear, detailed brief goes a long way. Think of it this way: the more you give the copywriter to work with, the better the end product will be.
Where do you find a good copywriter?
There are many places where you can find copywriters. Some common ways are to search on Google or LinkedIn. Fiverr and other freelance platforms can also be useful. The choice usually comes down to freelance copywriters or agencies. And the right copywriter is the one that coincides with your specific needs.
If you’re using Google to find a good copywriter, be specific. Search for “copywriter health insurance” or “copywriter who knows everything about padel injuries” rather than just “copywriter”. That will significantly increase your chances of finding a niche copywriter.
The right copywriter for one situation might not fit another
The tricky part is that a fitting copywriter for a client or project may not be the right one for all situations. Just like people in general, different copywriters are good at different things. Some are great at writing for specific niches or target groups, other writers are specialized in certain styles or platforms.
Some of us are more entertaining and engaging, others write in a more factual and informative way. A copywriter who’s great at driving Google traffic may not be the right person to craft your social media content, and vice versa. That’s why you need to find just the right copywriter based on your specific circumstances.
Dare to ask hard questions when you’re evaluating a potential copywriter. A good copywriter usually has the skills and experience to answer them in a satisfying way.
Do you need someone to help you with digital content?
Are you looking for a good copywriter, or help with something else in digital marketing? Then you’re in the right place! I’m a freelancing digital content expert that can help you out with copywriting, SEO, newsletters and much more. Interested? Get in touch by adding me on LinkedIn or e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.